The Wrong Side of my Car

The blog that wants to go obsolete

6 Apr 2019

My kid almost died on Ponsonby Road

I visited Ponsonby last weekend, with the small kids. Big mistake. I should have seen it coming.

So, lucky as I was, I managed to park my car about 50 metres from where I was going to have lunch. That 50 m was enough to almost get one of my kids killed.

Spot the pedestrian crossing — Google Streetview

That picture above shows the “new and improved” streetscape for pedestrians. And if you think this one looks quite narrow, that is because it is. There is no way you’ll fit a stroller or a wheelchair in there.

So… what happens if you try to cross here with kids? Would people at least show some concern for small kids?

No. You get stuck in the middle just the same. With small kids this is terrifying. People are perfectly happy to go at full speed literally 20 cm away from a toddler. And not just the odd idiot. Car after car, dozens, every single one of them.

If that toddler breaks free, he’ll be dead like a possum. And nobody will care.

Irony

There’s a certain irony in complaining about cars, while by driving to Ponsonby I was part of the problem. But the thing is…

Finally if you’re telling people with kids that a car free lifestyle is great, you need to stop doing that right now. You’re getting those kids killed.

Meanwhile, the next time your council proposes to sanitize some speed limits, go show some support.

No comments

Post a Comment